Wednesday, January 06, 2010

My Shoes and I


February 1, 2010

Written by René Colato Laínez

Illustrated by Fabricio Vanden Broeck

Boyds Mills Press


Reading level: Ages 4-8
School & Library Binding: 32 pages
Publisher: Boyds Mills Press
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1590783859
ISBN-13: 978-1590783856

A timely and inspiring story


Mario is leaving his home in El Salvador. With his father by his side, he is going north to join his mother, who lives in the United States. She has sent Mario a new pair of shoes, and he is thrilled. He will need good shoes because the trip will be long and hard. He and his father will cross the borders of three countries. They will walk for miles, ride buses, climb mountains and wade a river.

Mario has faith in his shoes. He believes they will take him anywhere. On this day, he wants to go to the United States, where his family will be reunited.

René Colato Laínez’s inspiring story, dramatically illustrated by Fabricio Vanden Broeck, vividly portrays a boy who strives to reach a new land and a new life.

3 comments:

Leticia said...

Nice story. I like to read his book.
Leticia.

Lucha Corpi said...

Felicidades, Rene! Beautiful illustrations. Can't wait to get your "Shoes.' Y prospero 2010! Post your Jan. schedule for your virtual tour with Latino Book Tours. Love to visit with you then. Abrazo,
Lucha

Rene Colato Lainez said...

Thanks Lucha,

This book is very special. I am telling my own journey from El Salvador to the United States. My shoes were my best friends during that long and tiring trip.

I will post my January book tour!

saludos,

René