Monday, November 05, 2012

Three Questions for Artist, Salomón Huerta


Salomón Huerta lives and works in Los Angeles. Born in 1965, in Tijuana, Mexico, and raised in Boyle Heights east of Downtown Los Angeles, he earned a BFA from the Art Center College of Design in 1991, and his MFA from the University of California, Los Angeles, in 1998. 

Huerta’s work has been exhibited nationally and internationally. Select solo exhibitions include Mask, Patrick Painter Inc., Santa Monica, CA (2008); Portrait of a Friend, Patricia Faure Gallery, Los Angeles (2005); and New Paintings, Gagosian Gallery, London (2001). In addition, he has exhibited in a number of group exhibitions, including A Strange New World, Tijuana and the Santa Monica Museum of Art (2007); Art on Paper, Weatherspoon Art Museum, Greensboro, NC (2002); and The Whitney Biennial at the Whitney Museum of American Art, New York (2000).

Huerta’s works are also included in the public collections of the Los Angeles County Museum of Art; the Museum of Contemporary Art, San Diego, CA; the Ulrich Museum of Art, Wichita, KS; and the Worcester Museum of Art, Worcester, MA. His work as been discussed in Art in America, Art Limited, Art News, The Los Angeles Times, and The New York Times. Huerta is represented by Patrick Painter Inc., Santa Monica, CA.


DANIEL OLIVAS: When did you decide that you would become an artist?

SALOMÓN HUERTA: I decided to pursue my art, while attending Pasadena City College. I wasn't good at anything else, so I decided to become an artist. I eventually graduated from Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, where I studied illustration and received my B.F.A. I also graduated from UCLA's Department of Art, where I received my M.F.A.

DO: Do you believe that your identity as a Chicano affects or shapes your role within society and the art world?

SH: Born in Tijuana and raised in East Los Angeles, I'm proud to be Mexican. My work deals with ideas of contemporary culture.

DO: What artists had the most influence on your art?

SH: John Valdez, LA Streetscapers and many European artists influenced me to become an artist.


More on Salomón Huerta and his art:




No comments: